NCCIH's Top Scientific Priorities and How We Set Them
NCCIH is committed to funding research that will have an impact on health and health care.
NCCIH’s Top Scientific Priorities
NCCIH’s strategic plan identifies the Center’s current top scientific priorities for future research. This section of the plan is intended to be “living,” as it will be updated regularly. It identifies both the Center’s objectives as well as areas of low programmatic priority in each research area.
The Center’s current top scientific priorities are as follows:
- Nonpharmacologic management of pain
- Neurobiological effects and mechanisms
- Innovative approaches for establishing biological signatures of natural products
- Disease prevention and health promotion across the lifespan
- Clinical trials utilizing innovative study designs to assess complementary health approaches and their integration into health care
- Communications strategies and tools to enhance scientific literacy and understanding of clinical research.
How We Set Our Priorities
When considering funding a potential research project, the Center assesses its promise using this priority-setting framework: