Preparing Your DMS Plan
The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health has developed a series of questions a Data Management and Sharing (DMS) plan must address to fulfill the required elements.
Applicants must provide answers to every question even if the answer does not apply to the application. Applicants may use this series of questions as a guide to prepare their DMS plan.
- What data will be created and/or collected?
- How will the data be created and collected?
- What documentation and metadata are needed to accompany the data?
- How will ethical issues be managed (e.g., human subjects, privacy)?
- How will copyright and intellectual property be managed?
- How will data be stored and backed up during research?
- How will access and security be managed?
- Which data will be shared, retained, and/or preserved?
- What is the long-term preservation plan for the data (i.e., which repository)?
- How will you share the data (publication, citation, or other)?
- Will there be any restrictions on the data sharing required?
- Who is responsible for the data management?
- What resources will be required to implement the data management and sharing plan?