The NCCIH Clinical Digest is a monthly e-newsletter that summarizes the state of the science on complementary and integrative health practices for a health condition (diabetes, cancer, sleep disorders, etc.)—clinical guidelines, literature searches, continuing medical education, and information for patients.
In each issue, you'll find evidence-based information for several complementary health practices used for the highlighted condition.
If a friend or colleague has directed you to this resource, we encourage you to subscribe to NCCIH Clinical Digest.
Estimates of the prevalence of autism in the United States vary, but the most recent U.S. Government statistics estimate that about 1 in 54 children has been identified with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). There is no cure for ASD, but research shows that early diagnosis and interventions, such as during preschool or before, are more likely to have major positive effects on symptoms and later skills. Many parents choose complementary health approaches for their children with ASD to help manage symptoms; however, despite this use there is a paucity of high-quality research focused on complementary approaches for ASD. Of the ASD research that has been conducted, most has been in the pediatric population; very few trials of complementary health approaches have been conducted in adults with ASD.
The existing evidence base indicates that melatonin may be beneficial for sleep disorders associated with ASD. Music therapy may have a positive effect on social interaction, and communication and behavioral skills in those affected by ASD. However, there is insufficient evidence to determine whether other complementary health approaches such as supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids or vitamin B6, or chelation are efficacious for ASD symptoms.
This issue of the digest provides information on the evidence base of several commonly used complementary health approaches for ASD.
- Yoga for Pain
- Anxiety and Complementary Health Approaches
- Arthritis and Complementary Health Approaches
- Know the Science of Complementary Health Approaches
- Mind and Body Approaches for Stress and Anxiety
- Yoga for Health
- Multiple Sclerosis and Complementary Health Approaches
- Depression and Complementary Health Approaches
- Mind and Body Approaches for Chronic Pain
- Mind and Body Practices for Older Adults
- Spotlight on Saw Palmetto
- Hepatitis C and Dietary Supplements
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Complementary Health Approaches
- ADHD and Complementary Health Approaches
- High Cholesterol and Natural Products
- Seasonal Affective Disorder and Complementary Health Approaches
- Massage Therapy for Health
- Use of Yoga, Meditation, and Chiropractic by Adults and Children
- Mind and Body Approaches for Cancer Symptoms and Treatment Side Effects
- Use of Natural Products by Children
- Travel-Related Ailments and Complementary Health Approaches
- Parkinson’s Disease and Complementary Health Approaches
- Mind and Body Approaches for Substance Use Disorders
- Complementary Health Approaches for Hypertension
- Dietary Supplements Marketed for Weight Loss, Bodybuilding, and Sexual Enhancement
- Mind and Body Practices for Fibromyalgia
- Type 2 Diabetes and Dietary Supplements
- Children’s Use of Complementary Health Approaches
- Seasonal Allergies and Complementary Health Approaches
- Mind and Body Approaches for Health Problems in Military Personnel and Veterans
- Myth-Busting Popular Natural Products Marketed for Disease Prevention and Wellness
- Complementary Health Approaches for Chronic Pain
- Skin Conditions and Complementary Health Approaches
- Musculoskeletal Inflammation and Natural Products
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Complementary and Integrative Approaches
- Herb-Drug Interactions