New Job Openings at NCCIH To Support the HEAL Initiative
July 3, 2019
Are you interested in being part of a trans-NIH effort to accelerate scientific solutions to stem the national opioid crisis? I am excited to tell you about two job openings at NCCIH: one for a program director and another for a program specialist. Both positions will focus on clinical research supported by NCCIH, primarily programs funded by the HEAL (Helping to End Addiction Long-term) Initiative. I started my career at NCCIH working as a program director (health scientist administrator) 10 years ago and have found it to be an amazing opportunity to impact the research priorities of NCCIH.
We will be hiring for two new positions (summarized below). To be considered, you must submit an application online at USAJOBS between July 11-15.
- The health scientist administrator (program director) position will guide and manage a grants program supporting clinical research, including HEAL-funded projects focused on improving pain management in health care systems or behavioral interventions to enhance opioid use disorder treatment. The program officer’s portfolio will also include awards for clinical trials of natural products, including botanicals, vitamins, and dietary supplements. This position provides an opportunity to impact priorities and develop new research initiatives.
- The health program specialist (program analyst) will provide analytic, scientific, and administrative support to NCCIH’s portfolio of clinical grants, including HEAL-funded projects on pain management and opioid use disorder treatment. This person will be responsible for designing and performing detailed analysis of research program priorities; participate in the development of scientific initiatives and analyzing their success; and facilitating NCCIH grant programs, including assisting in the planning and organization of scientific workshops and investigator meetings.
These positions require working both independently and collaboratively and individuals are expected to work full time onsite at NCCIH in Bethesda, Maryland. Strong organizational, oral, written, and communication skills are required, and knowledge of the grants process is preferable. Please note these are 5-year, limited-term appointments.
Since these positions will be open for a very short time (July 11-15), I recommend reviewing tips from the NIH Office of Human Resources, creating a profile on USAJOBS, and assessing what information and documents are required in advance.
For more information:
- Health Scientist Administrator (Program Director), Clinical Research Branch
- Health Program Specialist, Clinical Research Branch
- Watch a Video About Being a Health Scientist Administrator at NIH
[Ed. Note: The deadline for these positions is Monday, July 15, not Tuesday, July 16 as previously written.]
Comments are now closed for this post.